Lately I am thinking that I might want to get into dream career coaching. Still in the thinking and planning stages but I am really excited about this prospect.
Starting a creative career can be scary but oh so exciting as well! Some tips on your journey:
- Make a plan. It doesn’t have to be boring. Make it fun and use doodles and colorful pens and markers. Get that creative brain pumping.
- Focus. Yes focus. What is this career? Write it down. Are you going to sell jewelry? Write? Open up a dance studio? Write it down and create a vision board. Cut and paste pictures from magazines or draw what you want your business to feel and look like.
- Set up a time line. You don’t have to quit your day job. Sometimes keeping your day job while figuring it all out is ok and it’s less scary.
- Who is your customer? Ok maybe you have many different types of customers but who do you think is your main customer? To do this create a customer portrait. Literally take out a pen and write a story about your customer. What’s her/his name? What education level do they have? What kind of magazines, blogs or books do they read? What kind of movies do they like to watch?...etc
- Now that you know your customer you can begin planning your marketing strategy. By knowing who your customer is and where they hang out, you can initiate a marketing plan. For example if your customer reads décor blogs than advertise your business on décor websites and blogs.
If you would like some more guidance you can purchase my creative business workbook on etsy here.